St. Patrick's Day No-corned-beef and Cabbage

Lower Lake, Killarney, Ireland St. Patrick's Day vintage postcard
courtesy of vintageholidaycrafts.com


It's great to be Irish any day, but especially on St. Patrick's Day. I couldn't escape by Irish heritage if I tried (not that I would!), what with the Phalens and Manions in my family tree. Plus, I married an Irish-American and sport a decidedly Irish surname. I've even given Irish names to my children. My home reflects my heritage in it's occasional shamrock (year-round), Belleek vases, and celtic crosses, and I'd like to think that my guests experience Irish hospitality when they visit. Of course, through my mother and grandmother who taught me to cook, I learned traditional Irish and Irish-American recipes. I come by my love of potatoes honestly!



So, on St. Patrick's Day, I start with a bowl of Flavahan's Irish Porridge Oats. And since I no longer eat meat, dinner will be No-corned-beef and Cabbage, a potato and cabbage dish cooked in something akin to a "corning" broth. This is something that I enjoy all-year-round, except in the heat of the summer. I hope you enjoy it as well.



No-Corned-beef and Cabbage
1 head cabbage, cut into 6 or 8 wedges
2 lbs all-purpose or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
4 cups vegetable broth
2 TBS brown sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
couple of black peppercorns and whole allspice

Place broth and seasonings in a dutch oven and bring to boil while preparing the cabbage. Add cabbage, bring to boil, and cook 15 minutes while preparing potatoes. Add potatoes and cook 25 to 30 minutes, until a fork goes easily into them. Serve potatoes and cabbage with cooking liquid to moisten.

This is peasant food, and is not the prettiest to look at when it's cooked, so I'll share a picture of the potatoes and cabbage cooking.

No-corned-beef and cabbage

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. I'm gonna have this for dinner.
Letha

potatolicious said...

Letha, Hope you enjoy it :-) It's a simple but good meal, by far my favorite way to eat cabbage.

Anonymous said...

It turned out great! Thanks.
Letha

potatolicious said...

Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

I made this for my 3 under-eight yr. old boys tonight and it was a huge hit. I'm with you Letha, I won't make cabbage any other way again, YUM!!!
Thanks a bunch
- Benji, Maine

potatolicious said...

Benji, Thanks for stopping by and letting me know that you enjoyed this. I always liked the potatoes and cabbage more than the corned beef anyway. :-)

Heidi said...

This is probably more traditional for the average Irish than all that rich food, anyway. I'm going to give this a try, and probably throw a few carrots in the mix, for this year's St Patrick's Day feast. My mom can make the meat. :) We'll all still get the Ole Irish on for sure!

thanks for posting. I needed a non-meat menu for the Family Feast.

Heidi

Post a Comment