Bombay Aloo (curried potatoes) & Veggie Sushi

The other day I was cleaning out my basement pantry, and discovered several cans of potatoes. Since it was lunch time, I brought one upstairs and threw this simple but satisfying dish together. I liked it so much that I made it the next two days for lunch. As with anything to do with curry, I only use a small amount, so adjust the amount to your taste.

Photobucket


Bombay Aloo

1 can whole potatoes, rinsed and drained and cut into 1 inch chunks
3 TBS tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 TBS raisins
1 tsp curry powder (or to taste)
sprinkle of onion powder

Place all ingredients in small saucepan and stir to combine. Cover and cook 5 min. Uncover and cook until the sauce reaches desired consistency (1 minute longer, usually).


Thanks to Jenn at Pass the Potatoes, another McDougalling mom, I had the courage to try making my own veggie sushi. I usually time my trips to the grocery store to pick up some brown rice/cucumber/carrot/avocado uramaki (inside out rolls) for lunch. It's a nice little treat, but it's pretty spendy for what it is. Mine tasted great, but I'll need some practice and a sharper knife to make beautiful sushi. Check out Jenn's blog for the recipe and step by step instructions (plus more great recipes and beautiful pictures). This is a quick picture I took before bringing them to a multi-generational party. They were a big hit with the high school and college girls.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Jen said...

What? I came to check out your rolls.. they look good to me! Try more veggies - it always seems like too much when your rolling but then they have more color when you cut them. Can't wait to try the Bombay Aloo , I love curry - but my family hates it. So I'll make it for my weekly lunch.

potatolicious said...

Jenn, thanks for stopping by and your kind words. The sesame seeds hid a multitude of sins. More filling definitely! Hope you enjoy the potatoes. I'm the only curry eater in my family too; that's why I have it for lunch.

Post a Comment