Fat Free Balsamic Dressing

The idea of "thick water" (water thickened with cornstarch) as an oil substitute has been around for a while, but I've always had an issue with such a bland-tasting liquid standing in for more flavorful oils like olive oil. I've tried to add flavor to the thick water by using vegetable broth and soy sauce, but my favorite way to add delicate flavor without adding sodium is to use Earl Grey tea. It's flowery, citrusy flavor complements the vinegar's tartness nicely. I use it in this recipe, which I got from the McDougall discussion boards several years ago; I don't know who originally posted it, so unfortunately, I can't give credit where it's due. If anyone knows the source of this recipe, please let me know so I can give proper credit (and thanks!).

Photobucket

Fat Free Balsamic Dressing
1 cup Earl Grey tea, cooled
1 TBS cornstarch
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt (optional)
1 TBS brown or raw sugar (optional)
1 TBS dijon mustard (optional - I did not use it this time)

Whisk cornstarch and tea together in small sauce pan. Heat until bubbly and thickened. Let cool. Combine remaining ingredients in a jar; shake or stir until dissolved. Add tea/cornstarch mixture, and shake or stir until combined.

This is also excellent with white balsamic vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar; just omit the sugar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very intrigued by the Earl Grey tea as an ingredient. It has me thinking about all of my herb teas. Thanks for sharing.
Letha

potatolicious said...

Thanks for stopping by. :-) Imagine the possibilities...ginger tea in an asian-style dressing, mint in a lemony dressing. I'll have to experiment!

Post a Comment